Coming to Liberal Democrat Spring Conference in York?
ALDC training and events 13 – 15 March 2020
ALDC Members ‘Meet Up’
Why not join us for a drink*? Chat to the ALDC team and learn about our latest advice, training, resources and publications. Find out how we can support you in the run up to the local elections in May and in the future. (*alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages available)
- Location: Hilton Hotel, 1 Tower St, York YO1 9WD
- Date: Saturday 14 March
- Time: 18:15-19:15
Visit the ALDC staff team in the hall exhibiting with our colleagues at the LGA Liberal Democrat Group. Find out more about our Advice, online resources and books, training and events (Kickstart, Councillors Weekend, Motivate Days). Get advice from one of our development officers who staff our daily Advice Line.
We are running free drop-in training sessions at the Hilton Hotel. Top up your skills with our wide range of courses whether you are new to campaigning or been active for years.
ALDC Training - Morning
- Saturday 14 March – Micklegate Room Agent and Election Law – 9:30-10:45 and 11:15-12:30
What every agent and campaigner needs to know about running an election, from standing candidates to completing your expenses returns. Note: Please attend both sessions.
- Saturday 14 March 09:30-10:45 Bootham Room Be A Cllr – Managing Casework for Candidates and Councillors
We explore different strategies and tools that Councillors and candidates use to keep on top of their caseload.
- Saturday 14 March 11:15-12:30 Bootham Room Be A Cllr – Taking the climate agenda forward on your council
We can make a difference in our areas and local councils on one of the World’s most pressing issues. Come and share your ideas and find out more from others at this workshop.
- Saturday 14 March 09:30-10:45 Walmgate Room Pick a ward and win it – What is my message for the local election campaign
What will set you apart from the competition on Polling Day. This module will help candidates develop their message for leaflets, direct mail and social media.
- Saturday 14 March 11:15-12:30 Walmgate Room Technical training – How to do direct mail
Industry still spends billions on direct mail because it works as part of communication and fundraising. We will discuss who you should write to and what a good piece of direct mail looks like.
ALDC training - afternoon
- Saturday 14 March 14:30-15:45 Bootham Room Pick a ward and win it – Good local election literature
Hone your local literature to hit the mark and make an impact during your local election
- Saturday 14 March 16:15-17:30 Bootham Room Pick a ward and win it – GOTV and using Connect to win your local election
How we use the data we have gathered throughout the year is vital to getting the best result on polling day. Find out how to do this at this module.
- Saturday 14 March 14:30-15:45 Walmgate Room Technical training – Understanding your audience for Facebook advertising
Social media can be a powerful and persuasive tool in a campaign. Find out how to best target your efforts for the biggest impact.
- Saturday 14 March 16:15-17:30 Walmgate Room Developing skills – Persuading electors to vote for us
What motivates people to vote for a candidate or a party? We look at the science behind the art of persuading people to vote for us. These practical exercises aim to improve your ability to produce persuasive material.
Not a member yet?
Find out why joining us will make a difference to your campaigning or role as a councillor.