Liberal Democrat councils and councillors have all been doing extraordinary things in recent weeks to support their communities. Here are some great examples of good practice from our colleagues at the LGA Liberal Democrat Group.
- Kensington and Chelsea Councillor Linda Wade is one of many Lib Dem Councillors keeping residents in touch with a regular e-newsletter.
- Our bin crews are a great example of the “unsung heroes” carrying out essential front-line work. South Lakeland Lib Dem Leader Giles Archibald has sent us the following story: A message from one of our hard-working bin crew, Andy Ash. You can also read about it on Facebook and Twitter.
- Bedford’s Liberal Democrat Mayor Dave Hodgson has written an update about what Lib Dem Bedford Council is doing to combat the crisis.
- Liverpool Lib Dems are calling on the council to re-introduce transparency and democracy in the council’s decision-making process.
- Kingston Lib Dem councillors have recorded a message on supporting people during the COVID-19 lockdown, telling people what they are doing. The council has worked with local charities and organisations to set up a volunteering hub, which has already attracted over 1,200 volunteers. There is a dedicated helpline for anyone who needs support and the council has worked hard to keep other services such as refuse collection going.
- The Liberal Democrat Group on Hertfordshire County Council have agreed a protocol with the ruling Conservative administration
- A consortium of councils in the South West (with Liberal Democrat support) have produced a leaflet warning people to beware of scams
- Eastbourne’s Lib Dem Councillors are working hard on making calls to potentially vulnerable people and have contacted over 2,500 so far.
- Here is a great article from Hull Councillor Jack Haines about the work him and his colleagues have been doing about contacting the vulnerable in Hull.
- Cornwall Council where we are part of a coalition have launched a package of support for families to ensure emotional health and wellbeing of all students, staff and parents during the Covid-19 crisis whilst they are at home:
- St Albans & Hertfordshire County Councillor Chris White is sending out a regular email to his division which has had some really positive feed back on, details here https://chriswhite.mycouncillor.org.uk/2020/03/27/st-albans-central-news-march-2020/
- The Liberal Democrat cabinet on Chelmsford City Council did a Q&A session on facebook which was really popular www.facebook.com/ChelmsCouncil/
- Shropshire Liberal Democrats have been doing some great work in rural communities which includes a non-political letter and signposting Focus which has been posted to remote villages. They have emailed it out to all the contacts they had on connect, posted on facebook and other social media sites and emailed out. Deliberately without the logo. They have been working with communities to publicise, deliver services etc. e.g. doing meals on wheels, manning and setting up food banks, signposting, keeping in touch with businesses and supporting them. They’ve produced posters with local farmers to address the massive increase in the countryside of the public using rights of ways promoting good behaviour, ensure that dogs aren’t worrying sheep, and not putting farm workers at risk during lambing session.
- Kent Liberal Democrats have campaigned on the financial plight of our hospices: https://kentlibdems.org.uk/en/article/2020/1356407/government-must-ensure-that-hospices-are-given-vital-financial-support
- Sutton’s Liberal Democrat Council has introduced an emergency decision making procedure to ensure there is cross-party participation in the decisions the council make.
- Liberal Democrat lead Colchester have had a council sponsored leaflet delivered to every home you can see an example of it here: www.colchester.gov.uk/coronavirus/residents/community-support/
If you want your local work included, please send it through to email@example.com