Draft Motion on refugees and asylum seekers from Mid-Sussex Lib Dems
- Notes that the number of people arriving by boat to seek asylum in the UK has increased in recent weeks, with an associated raised media profile for this issue.
- Acknowledges that the issue of international asylum and migration is a highly complex issue without simple solutions.
- Recognises that the UK has a proud tradition of welcoming people fleeing conflict and persecution.
- Affirms Mid Sussex’s pride in having welcomed 10 Syrian refugee families, to date, under the UK Resettlement Scheme (UKRS).
- Emphasises that, notwithstanding differing views, anyone engaged in discourse on this issue has a responsibility to treat the people involved with dignity, compassion and respect.
LGBT+ Councillors’ Forum launched
LGBT+ Councillors are already making a big difference in building a free and open society, in communities up and down the country.
LGBT+ Liberal Democrats are hosting a number of Councillors’ Forums over the next few weeks for LGBT+ councillors to share their experiences and discuss how they can best support each other in their work, and how they can get more LGBT+ councillors elected.
Next Generation – applications welcome
Next Generation is a programme for talented and ambitious councillors who have demonstrated potential and would like to build on their skills
to progress in a political career.
To apply your council must be in membership of the LGA, and your council must be willing to cover your travel costs. All other costs are covered by the LGA Liberal Democrat Group.