The Lib Dem group on Milton Keynes are looking to hire a new Political Assistant. The details of the role are as follows:
Reference Number: 335004518
Manager Email: Becky.Lovelock@Milton-keynes.gov.uk
Hours: Fixed term (37)
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with exceptional political and communication skills working directly with the Liberal Democrat Group on the Council. Your role will primarily involve advising on political issues, and will also include dealing with the media, preparing speeches and briefing notes, researching policy issues, attending meetings and conferences within the area and elsewhere.
You will act as the focus for information gathering and dissemination with community groups, MPs, local authorities, commercial groups and deal with Officers at all levels. Strong networking skills are essential to enable you to play a central part in the effective preparation and delivery of the Group’s future political strategy.
As someone who understands and is sympathetic to the policies of the Liberal Democrat Party, you will bring acute political judgement, the ability to analyse data quickly, have excellent written and oral skills and good IT knowledge with real ambition to move the Party to its fullest local potential.
The post is subject to political restriction in accordance with the Local Government and Housing Act 1989. Hours of work will include evenings and possibly weekends.
To support the Leader, Deputy Leader, Chair, Secretary and all group members by
- Preparing motions and questions for Full Council Meetings
- Providing policy research and briefings for Councillors use at various meetings of the Council
- Drafting speeches, media releases, comments, articles, social media, preparing councillors for interviews etc
- Drafting standard responses and supporting casework queries
- Preparing agenda for group meetings
- Organising away days and training
- Liaising with key stakeholders including local party organisations, elected members and senior Council officers
- Liaising with the regional and national party office on issues regarding the Group as required
Your starting salary will be pro rata if the above position is part-time or term-time only.
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Understanding of and commitment to the priorities and agenda of the political group.
- Knowledge of the local political structure
- Experience of building and sustaining effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Good IT skills with experience of Microsoft Office and Windows
- Experience of preparing speeches for major events is desirable
Milton Keynes Council Benefits
Use your skills to benefit the local community and experience a rewarding, interesting environment and attractive employment package such as:
– Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates
– A generous minimum holiday entitlement of 27 days per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
– Option to buy more annual leave
– A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
– Excellent in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management
-Fair pay and a commitment to a minimum Living Wage
-MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings including retail, travel and leisure discounts as well as a suite of salary sacrifice benefits.
At Milton Keynes Council we take great pride in our Community and we hope that you can help us grow and share our vision.
The deadline for applications is 18 October 2019.
Interviews will be held on 5 November 2019.