We have three free places on each of the following training courses. If you would like a place please email Terry (firstname.lastname@example.org).
This programme, aimed at opposition leaders and deputy leaders, is designed to help participants to get a better understanding of how they can enhance the effectiveness of their role in leading an opposition group on their council. It will focus on a range of relevant topics, skills and techniques, including building good working relationships with key officers, engaging with external stakeholders, working with the local media and getting the most out of social media.
The programme will provide a unique, cross-party opportunity for participants to explore the nature of effective opposition and gain some insights into their personal leadership and influencing styles.
Dates and venue
- Programme 10: Thursday, 14 November – Friday, 15 November 2019
- Programme 11: Saturday, 18 January – Sunday, 19 January 2020
Both taking place at Warwick Conferences, Coventry CV4 7SH.
Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) Councillors Weekender Event
This event provides a unique learning and networking opportunity for elected members from BAME backgrounds and those who are interested in exploring ideas for enhancing the recruitment and retention of BAME councillors.
The programme will include a variety of leadership, skills and personal development workshops, an opportunity to identify new learning and support needs, and a chance to work with others in finding possible solutions for some of the specific challenges faced by councillors from BAME backgrounds.
Date and venue
- Saturday, 22 February – Sunday, 23 February 2020, Warwick Conference Centre, Coventry
This event is a must for young councillors, aged 40 and under, who are interested in building their knowledge, skills and councillor network.
This year’s programme will include plenary sessions lead by experts in the field of leadership and leading member peers covering personal development and some of the key current issues and challenges for all councillors. Some of the workshops choices will be:
- Is Perception more powerful than reality?
- Finding your political voice
- Personal Resilience – Stress & Time Management
- Communication Skills
- Operating in party groups
- Local Government Finance
- Question Time: ‘Hot Topics’ – a chance for you to pose questions, problems and burning issues and put them to a panel of experienced councillors to hear how they might tackle them and also learn from fellow delegates who might have been in the same situation
Date and venue
- Saturday, 23 November – Sunday, 24 November 2019, Warwick Conference Centre, Coventry