Campaign Co-Ordinator – West Hertfordshire Local Party
BY NICK HOLLINGHURST ON OCTOBER 31, 2018
West Hertfordshire Liberal Democrats are recruiting a Campaign Co-Ordinator to help develop a large Local Party comprising the two parliamentary constituencies of South West Hertfordshire and Hemel Hempstead. The Local Party area covers all of the Borough of Dacorum and two thirds of Three Rivers District, which has been controlled by Liberal Democrats for over 20 years.
Our immediate objectives are to increase significantly the number of council seats in Dacorum in May 2019, to select parliamentary candidates for both constituencies, to develop our campaigning capacity and to support the administration in Three Rivers.
This is an exciting opportunity to help an important Local Party develop and further raise its profile, local, regionally and nationally.
We are looking for someone who will be able to engage our volunteers, build teams, sharpen our messages and manage our campaigning at ward levels. This might be a person with considerable experience or it might be someone relatively new: we are prepared to invest in the right person through training and development with support from ALDC, county and regional staff.
Job Title: Campaign Co-Ordinator
Working For: West Hertfordshire Liberal Democrats, reporting to the Local Party Chair
Location: Local Party Office, Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire and at other locations from time to time
Salary: £18,000 – £22,000 per annum FTE
Full-time: 37½ hours per week, some evening and weekend work required
This is a Fixed Term Contract that unless previously terminated in accordance with Clause 11 of the Contract, will end on 30th June 2019, unless extended by mutual agreement in writing.
Application Closing Date: Monday 2nd December (Midnight)
Interview: Interviews will take place on Monday 10th December at the Local Party Office in Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire or as agreed.
Start Date: ASAP
To apply, send a copy of your CV and covering letter to James Davies, 7, Stocks Farm Barns, Stocks Road, Aldbury, Tring HP23 5RX or email firstname.lastname@example.org If you would like to talk about the job before applying, please email Nick Hollinghurst on email@example.com
In addition, please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made in order to take a full part in the recruitment process. An Equality and Diversity Form (available with the Application Pack) must be completed and returned.
In advertising what is potentially a development post we recognise that some applicants may need support initially to fulfil some of these responsibilities and that this might vary in different candidates.
- Work with a Sub-Committee of the West Herts Executive Committee, the Campaign Organiser, the PPCs and the Council Groups as appropriately to assist in:
(1) identifying , refining and managing our campaigns;
(2) the administration of literature delivery, letter writing, telephoning, canvassing and data input;
(3) the monitoring of expenditure against budget and the payment of campaigning costs as they become due;
(4) the analysis of campaigning data with a view to monitoring campaigning, targeting, direction of effort and effectiveness
- Monitor progress against planned development activities
- Ensure the local party has a coordinated approach to all communications including digital campaigns, canvassing and print
- Work with volunteers to build teams of people to support activities, to identify training needs and arrange training as required
- Contribute to the production of literature including the design, content and layout as required
- Work with appropriate Liberal Democrat staff or volunteers from other areas as may arise
- Undertake such training as is recommended, and provided through the management, in order to develop and update required skills
- Attend Sub-Committee, WHLD Executive and other meetings as required
- Undertake such other duties as the Line Manager may require to further effective communication, campaigning and organisation in West Hertfordshire.
This appointment will be subject to a probationary period of three months.
The successful applicant will need to show the following attributes.
(E denotes Essential, D denotes Desirable)
- Committed to the aims and values of the Liberal Democrats nationally as well as locally (E)
- Familiarity with election campaigning techniques and tools, including database management, desktop publishing, website maintenance, and use of social media (E)
- Ability to communicate and liaise effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders including the PPCs, councillors, and local party officers (E)
- Excellent written communications skills (E)
- Ability to engage volunteers, build volunteer teams and develop their campaigning skills (E)
- Ability to work with little supervision and prioritise a variety of tasks on a day to day basis (E)
- Experience in delivering training (D)
- Experience of writing press releases and handling media enquiries (D)
- Available and willing to work some unsocial hours (E)
- Full driving licence (E)