It is vital that everyone in the party stays on the right side of the law throughout the campaign, and we’ll be here to help you do this.
What sort of advice and information is available?
- Practical issues around election law – nominations, DNOs, imprints, expenses, freeposts etc
- Detailed queries about election law issues
- Guidance on issues such as libel and defamation
- Advice if you are threatened with legal action
There are three ways you can access advice:
1 – Online
ALDC members can browse our up-to-date advice resources on our special advice microsite. Articles can easily be found through the “topic” flags on the right side of the site or use the search at the top of the site.
2 – By email
Email your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll make sure that the most appropriate person deals with it as quickly as possible. (Emailing an individual staff member is not recommended, as you might catch one of us on a day when we’re not in and your response will be delayed).
3 – By Phone
Phone us on 0161 212 1012 between 9.30am – 5.00pm, Monday to Friday and we’ll put you through to the next available advisor. Outside these hours we have an answerphone, where you can leave your message. If you get the answerphone during the working day it may mean that there are more phones ringing than there are staff in the office, so please be patient!
How will we deal with your request
For non-ALDC members we will respond via email.
For ALDC members we will:
- Try to deal with all requests as soon as possible. Our normal standard is that advice received before 2.00pm on a working day is dealt with that day, or for requests received after 2.00pm on the following morning. However please be patient with us during busy periods.
- We are not lawyers and will will not be able to give formal legal opinion, but we can help talk you through the issues and what needs to be considered.
- There are systems in place for more complex and urgent cases to be referred to specialist advisers elsewhere. We will advise you if this is what we intend to do with your query.