ALDC see a real opportunity for the party to rebuild through local council by-elections. There are hundreds of areas around the country where we have residual support. We need to use every by-election to build local parties and move them forward.
Why fighting local by-elections helps
- They are great opportunities for training particularly with Connect and around polling day
- It’s a chance to galvanise existing supporters and involve new members with their local party
- It can build team morale in your area
- Even in areas where we don’t win, we can build capacity going forward and achieve the targets we set ourselves at the beginning of the campaign.
- More canvass data and increased candidate profile can help you win the next regular election in the ward
so we are re launching our improved by-election service – By-Election HQ
What we need you to do and how we will help
- Always let ALDC know immediately when you hear of imminent local by-election. See below.
- ALDC immediately circulates a by-election alert to party bodies and activists across the country. You can register to receive these here
- Always stand a candidate in every by-election
- ALDC will send each team a copy of the ‘Winning your Local By-Election’ campaign booklet’
- If you’re fighting the by-election seriously but need financial help, you can apply for an ALDC Fighting Fund Grant with goals agreed between the local team and ALDC. Please fill in this form if you wish to apply for a grant.
- Every week the By-election Phone Bank will be calling for a local by-election (priorities only). If you could help with the Phonebank in Manchester or from home contact email@example.com
- Let ALDC know the results – we circulate these every Friday
- Send us artwork, photos details of your campaign.
- Volunteer for the Phonebanks – at ALDC’s Manchester office, LDHQ in London or from your home.
- Help us win more by-elections by donating a small amount each month to the ALDC Fighting Fund. £10 a month will help us fund an extra by-election campaign.
What ALDC are offering its members:
1) A consultation with an ALDC member of staff at the beginning of your campaign
3) ‘Winning your Local By-Election’ campaign booklet – currently being re-written but the text is still available in the By-Elections section of AskALDC on the website
4) Access to the ALDC Fighting Fund. The ALDC fighting fund is available to help local parties who have upcoming by-elections. Please fill in this form if you wish to apply for a grant.
5) Phone Bank for voter ID/knocking up on polling day (if you provide us with an open access Virtual Phone Bank code)
What we need from you:
ALWAYS STAND A CANDIDATE
REPORT FORTHCOMING BY-ELECTIONS
Always let ALDC know immediately when you hear of an imminent local by-election. Contact ALDC through our website or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Here’s what we need to know, don’t wait till you know everything , just let us know :
- Ward Name
- Council Name
- Candidate and Agent names details
- Contact Details for by-election help
- Name and party of the departing councillor
- Cause of By-Election – Death, Disqualification/Resignation
- Date of By-Election
- Main Opposition
- Was it a target ward last time it was fought and/or is it a target ward now?
- Does your local party have EARS or Connect ?
REPORT BY-ELECTIONS RESULTS
ALDC compiles, circulates and analyses the results of by-elections from across the UK. To do this we need to know the results in your area as quickly as possible. Post it on our Facebook group, follow the link on the ALDC website or email email@example.com
- Full Result
- Lib Dem Candidate Name
- Percentage by Candidate
- Turnout/ Majority
ALDC circulates a by-election alert to party bodies and activists across the country. To receive them click here
We circulate by email all principal council by-election results every Friday. to receive the email click here
Every week the By-election Phone Bank will be calling for a local by-elections. To volunteer click here
To keep everybody “in the loop” about By-election HQ and the latest By-election information we have set up Facebook group. To join the facebook group click here
To help us win more by-elections by donating a small amount each month to the Fighting Fund. To donate click here
By-Election analysis and information
By-Election information is also available in the Elections section of the ALDC website. Having logged in this available by clicking on “More” (next to the Logout button) and then “Elections” . Both Forthcomings and ByElection results are available here.
In every copy of Local ampaigner we have an analysis section:
We also publish best practice from winning by-elections online and in Local Campaigner
Ward: Trowbridge Grove
Council: Wiltshire Council (Unitary)
Date: 14th July 2106
Result: Auckland, Chris (LD) 421 (48.86%)
Con: 196 (21.65%)
Green: 21 (2.50%)
Ind: 74 (8.06%)
LAB: 77 (8.39%)
UKIP 123 (13.35%)
LD gain from Independent (2013)
ALDC used to have an excellent by-election results service. Now it is second rate at best - most of the 4-5-17 and 8-6-17 b y-elections were not reported and the 29-6-17 ones have not been reported. I accept it is time consuming to find out and report them all but currently the service is inadequate. It either needs beefing up or abandoning (there are other sources - e.g. Local By-Elections | Vote UK Forum